Try Out Date and Times: Sunday, March 4, 4th-8th girls, 1:00-2:00 PM
Sunday, March 4, 4th-7th boys, 2:10-3:10 PM
Sunday, March 4, 9th-11th girls, 3:20-4:20 PM
Sunday, March 4, 8th-9th boys, 4:30-5:30 PM
Sunday, March 4, 10th-11th boys, 5:35-6:35 PM
Grade = grade currently attending in the 2017-2018 school year (grade as of tryout date).
Try Out Fee: $10 pre-register; $20 walk-in
MUST Register online here: Pre-Registration (until 2:00 PM Friday). Walk-ins are welcome at the tryouts.
Check-in: 10 minutes before your allotted timeframe
Location: Grinnell Middle School, Grinnell, Iowa
Team: Iowa Intensity
What if I can’t make tryouts?
Contact us BEFORE tryouts and we can arrange an alternate tryout time prior to teams being formed.
Goals: To further competitive basketball players skills and experiences that live in and around Grinnell by playing against highly competitive teams.
Team Structure: 7 to 10 players on the roster. There could be more than one team in an age category. Teams will not be formed with less than 7 players; a waiting list will be formed until the roster size is met. If we have enough players, a 2nd team may be formed for an age group.
Players on a Fall/Winter team receive priority on Spring/Summer rosters (on a team if they want to participate). Spring/Summer tryouts occur in March.
Coaching assignments will be finalized with roster position offers. Schedules will be tentatively provided upon roster offers also. We do hope to post a tentative schedule and coach assignment before tryouts.
- 9th-11th grade = $700 per player, includes 15 practices and 6 tournaments (we have increased the number of practices this year, we will front load a number of the added ones to prepare more for tournament play.
- 4th-8th grade = $600 per player, includes 15 practices and 5 tournaments (also increased the number of practices).
- Deduct $100 if you already have an Iowa Intensity jersey from a prior season that can be worn (we are using the Brute jerseys with orange and silver again this year). You can also find used Intensity jerseys to wear if you want.
- $100 credit if you were a player on the 6th boys, 7th girls or 8th girls this Fall/Winter season.
Payments: $200 due March 15; balance due March 30.
Fees collected will be used for gym rental space, tournament fees, jerseys, coaching costs, and administration. Any profits will be set aside for future potential scholarships. Anyone needing financial assistance: please see the policy and application at: http://www.iowaintensity.org/other-information
Practices: Each practice will be 1.5 hours in length. Practice days and times will be determined after each team is formed.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who will be the team’s coach?
After tryouts we will assign a coach. Offers for team spots will include the coach assigned if that factors into your decision.
We have some teams coaches tentatively planned for Spring/Summer (subject to change), they are:
- 11th boys - Aamir Walton, HC; Chris Hansen, AC
- 10th boys - Nate DeBondt, HC; Sam Allen, AC
- 9th boys - Sam Allen, HC; Larry Jackson, AC
- 8th boys - Brevin Hansen, HC; Chris Hansen, AC
- 7th boys - Larry Jackson, HC; Brevin Hansen, AC
- 6th boys - Chris Hansen, HC; Brevin Hansen, AC
- 4th & 5th boys - TBD
- 11th girls - Larry Jackson, HC; Chris Hansen, AC
- 10th girls - Chris Hansen, HC; Abbie Agan, AC
- 9th girls - Casey Gibbs, HC; Aamir Walton, AC
- 8th girls - Abbie Agan, HC; Larry Jackson, AC
- 7th girls - Aamir Walton, HC
- 6th girls - Mark Kivett, HC
- 5th girls - Abbie Agan, HC
- 4th girls - TBD
When and where will practices be held?
Practices will be held in Grinnell, Iowa unless a better alternative would happen to come from a surrounding community for gym space (price/availability/convenience). The team’s coach and parents will correspond to try to find the best time to practice once the team is formed. A set schedule will be developed at that time.
What if my child’s age doesn’t have enough for a team?
We will create a waiting list until we get to 7 players at which time the team will be created. A player may also be asked to consider playing up with the grade above.
What is Iowa Intensity and why was it created?
Iowa Intensity is a non-profit program created to provide youth an environment to enhance their basketball skills and life skills to help them reach their full potential as basketball players and citizens. There has been a recent trend of some of the top local youth players leaving town to play with other club teams which makes the local travel teams less competitive and the cost to play out of town is more than double of what is being offered through Intensity. Second, it’s our belief that in the not so distant future that school basketball won’t be available until 9th grade or the Varsity level, due to the costs that schools absorb to offer it, and all of the other outlets that are available to play the game.
What are the goals Iowa Intensity has for its players?
To learn self-discipline, build character and build a strong work ethic. People fall short of their potential because they lack the necessary discipline to be the best that they can be. Character is about having integrity, politeness, humbleness, and honesty. In order for a person to reach their full potential as a citizen in our communities we need to instill a strong work ethic in our children.
When will the tournament schedule be completed?
A set schedule will be developed after a team is formed. It’s expected that we would start tournament play in early April and end the last weekend of July. A pre-set schedule may be developed in advance and handed out at the tryout.
Who do I contact with questions?
Chris Hansen, Executive Director, Mobile Phone: 641-990-6708
Larry Jackson, Director of Basketball Operations, Mobile Phone: 641-990-7135
Web Site: www.iowaintensity.org