Iowa Intensity Tryouts
Grinnell Middle School
Pre-Registration is at this link: Pre-Register - register and pay in our web store in advance for a reduced price of $10. You can still tryout as a walk in.
$20 walk in tryout fee
- 4th-6th boys and girls 1:00-1:50
- 7th-8th boys and girls 2:00-2:50
- 15U-17U girls 3:00-3:50, not a tryout, an evaluation period all players that pay the practice/uniform fee is accepted
- 15U-17U boys 4:00-4:50, not a tryout, an evaluation period all players that pay the practice/uniform fee is accepted
4th-8th Grade Teams:
Seasonal teams $700, includes:
- 5 tournaments, mostly in Iowa
- 10 practices from late March through mid-July, in Grinnell and Sully
- Uniforms - we are using the same uniforms as last year. $100 off the program fee if you don't need a uniform.
- $100 off if you played with Intensity in the Fall/Winter season.
15U to 17U - trying something new this year for player schedule flexibility
- $300 practice and uniform fee and provides access to sign-up for tournaments to play in.
- $100 credit it you have the uniform used in 2019 Spring/Summer
- 2 hour practice/skills/scrimmaging every Sunday, March 8 to July 19 (except Memorial Day weekend and July 4 weekend)
- Sign-up for tournaments when you are available to play (as many or little as you want).
- Beyond the Baseline & One Day Shootout tournaments = $50 each
- Team Iowa Tournaments = $65 each
- All-Iowa Attack, Iowa Gym Rats & MAYB tournaments = $75 each
- Prep Hoops Circuit & NCAA Live Events = $100 each
- Minimum of 7 players, max of 10 for any one team at an event. Sign-up for an event 6 weeks in advance, we will form the team and be invoiced, pay 4 weeks prior to the event and we will sign-up the team. You can sign-up individually for events or as a group.
- Iowa Intensity administrators will form the teams for the tournaments when players sign-up and group them that we believe is the best for the player and team experience.
Discount of $100 for multiple players in the program ($100 off for 2nd child, $200 off for 3rd child, etc.)
Fees collected will be used for gym rental space, tournament fees, jerseys, coaching costs, and administration. Anyone needing financial assistance: please see the policy and application at: https://www.iowaintensity.org/other-information
Coaches will be assigned and the tournament schedule finalized before the end of February for each team.
What if I can’t make tryouts?
Contact us BEFORE tryouts and we can arrange an alternate tryout time prior to teams being formed.
Goals: To further competitive basketball players skills and experiences that live in and around Grinnell by playing against highly competitive teams.
Team Structure: 7 to 10 players on the roster. There could be more than one team in an age category. Teams will not be formed with less than 7 players; a waiting list will be formed until the roster size is met. If we have enough players, a 2nd team may be formed for an age group.
Coaching assignments will be finalized with roster position offers.
Fees collected will be used for gym rental space, tournament fees, jerseys, coaching costs, and administration. Any profits will be set aside for future potential scholarships. Anyone needing financial assistance: please see the policy and application at: https://www.iowaintensity.org/other-information
When and where will practices be held?
Practices will be held in Grinnell, Iowa and Lynnville-Sully schools unless a better alternative would happen to come from a surrounding community for gym space (price/availability/convenience). The team’s coach and parents will correspond to try to find the best time to practice once the team is formed. A set schedule will be developed at that time.
What if my child’s age doesn’t have enough for a team?
We will create a waiting list until we get to 7 players at which time the team will be created. A player may also be asked to consider playing up with the grade above.
What is Iowa Intensity and why was it created?
Iowa Intensity is a non-profit program created to provide youth an environment to enhance their basketball skills and life skills to help them reach their full potential as basketball players and citizens. There has been a recent trend of some of the top local youth players leaving town to play with other club teams which makes the local travel teams less competitive and the cost to play out of town is more than double of what is being offered through Intensity. Second, it’s our belief that in the not so distant future that school basketball won’t be available until 9th grade or the Varsity level, due to the costs that schools absorb to offer it, and all of the other outlets that are available to play the game.
What are the goals Iowa Intensity has for its players?
To learn self-discipline, build character and build a strong work ethic. People fall short of their potential because they lack the necessary discipline to be the best that they can be. Character is about having integrity, politeness, humbleness, and honesty. In order for a person to reach their full potential as a citizen in our communities we need to instill a strong work ethic in our children.
Who do I contact with questions?
Chris Hansen, Executive Director, Mobile Phone: 641-990-6708
Larry Jackson, Director of Basketball Operations, Mobile Phone: 641-990-7135
Web Site: www.iowaintensity.org